Monday, June 14, 2010

Thoughts that are easy to see

There are two types of people in the world. There are some people who, when they learn something new, think that they're the first to learn it and rush to tell others, and there are those who, when they learn something new, assume that everyone else already knows it, and they're just glad that no one else knew that they didn't know it before hand.

The obvious cause of this is that these assumptions were formed when they were young from a couple of early experiences, and they've just never questioned the assumption since then, but I'd like to explore a less obvious possibility.

When I was younger, in High School and College, I spent a lot of time thinking about God and how the world worked, and I ended up becoming a pretty solid atheist. My logic was so clear to me that I thought all I had to do was explain it to people, and they would instantly understand it and agree with me. When that didn't happen, I tried harder to explain it, and ended up driving a couple of friends away before realizing that, for whatever reason, it wasn't as easy as how I had pictured it, and the friendships were more important than convincing people of what I had figured out, so I stopped trying to convert people.

When I was in High School, in my geometry class, I remember picturing all of the lines, points and angles as hanging out in space in front of my head. I got an 'A' in the class, by the way, so I think that mechanism worked fairly well.

You might think I'm rambling, but I think all of these things are related. When I think about things, I tend to picture them as being right in front of my face, where, subconsciously, I just assume that anyone can see them.

My theory is that people who picture thoughts this way will just assume that other people will already know their thoughts, after all, they're right there in front of them, where everyone else can already see them. And for those that haven't noticed, it should be pretty easy to convince them of something since it's right there for them to see.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pablo said...

great blog

i would like to follow me too and make your comments

http://ipartysearch.blogspot.com/

2:11 PM  
Anonymous AA said...

i guess i'm the type of person that knows i think differently so i shut up and don't say anything. haha. hm. good blog :) i liked it.

read mine?: http://www.listenthenspeak.blogspot.com

12:23 AM  
Anonymous amr mettwally abd elhafeez said...

very impressive post take a moment
and check my blogging articles

2:55 AM  
Blogger cavalry.joe said...

I think that there are 10 types of people. Those that understand binary and those that don't ;)

joe_cavalry

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home